Friday 25 March 2011

How to Write a Unique Setting for your Fiction

314787mahml53q2

There could be some orcs in those trees. Or a hen. Or something.

Image © Evgeni Dinev

Writing a fantasy novel is rewarding, but tricky. I’m currently on the second draft of my first fantasy novel, and one of the things I really want to improve on is the sense of place. I want the settings in my story to seem real, alive and vibrant.

To help with this, I’ve devised a Location Reference Sheet. There are various character reference sheets floating around the internet to help write richer characters, and I’m convinced that locations can benefit from the same treatment. Since I am truly the nicest, cuddliest, kindest man in the world, I’ve decided to share it with you.

The reference sheet is designed as a resource for writers of all speculative fiction, but will be particularly useful to writers of fantasy or sci-fi. It should help you to maintain consistency when writing about a setting, and help you find a deeper understanding of the locations in your story or novel.

The document is available from Google Docs as either a DOC or PDF:

Location Reference Sheet for writers.doc

Location Reference Sheet for writers.pdf

You can download the document by clicking the ‘File’ tab towards the top-left, then selecting ‘Download Original’.

The way I see it, the more detail and thought you put into a setting, the more engaging it will be for the reader. In the first draft of my novel, Gwillum Hobnail’s Affairs of the Undershade, the subterranean setting suffered from being just a series of big caves – because that’s what it was in my head.

Now that I’ve thought more about the history of the locations, the bizarre wildlife, and the unique challenges of living underground, the Undershade is shaping up to be a much more interesting place.

When you know enough about your setting, and can picture it in your mind’s eye, the evocative descriptions practically write themselves.

Are you writing a fantasy or sci-fi novel? Did you find the Location Reference Sheet useful? Click the ‘comments’ button below, or e-mail pithytitle@live.co.uk

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I'll download it when I get home and give it a try. :) I'll be sure to give you some feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It won't let me have it.

    "Sorry, we are unable to retrieve the document for viewing or you don't have permission to view the document."

    I'll try again later. Maybe google is just being cranky because it's late?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many apologies! This was my first forray into Google Docs, and I didn't realise they were set to 'private' by default!

    They're now public and ready to download.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, excellent work. It certainly makes you think about your location and what possibilities there are. Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!

    That is an excellent resource you've developed. That information will really make a story pop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! I'm really pleased you've found them useful. So have I!

    ReplyDelete

My Zimbio Blog Directory and Search engine Blog Directory Blog Directory BritBlog British Blogs Web Directory
britaine.co.uk
we are in
Britaine.co.uk
united kingdom