Tuesday 15 March 2011

Writing Tips to Shame Your Mother

2760310gv4ong7h

This mother has offered poor writing advice, and is rightly ashamed.

Image © Graur Razvan Ionut

Let me start by stating that no mothers will actually be shamed in the making of this post. I simply needed an arresting title, and recalled with amusement a menu I read recently, offering ‘Sunday Roasts to Shame Your Mother’. The title is nonsense – the advice that follows isn’t.

This compilation of excellent blog posts I’ve read since joining Twitter is loosely targeted at those who, like me, are near the beginning of their writing ‘career’. That said, there are things here that every writer should remind themselves of from time to time, and even general principles that can be adapted and applied to any creative enterprise.

This is where I shut up and let others more wisdomous than I do the talking:

Writer Reality Check – Kristen Lamb

Top Ten List of Advice for Aspiring Writers – Jody Hedlund

Six Things I Wish I’d Known When I Was Writing My First Novel – Krista Van Dolzer

A Litmus Test For Your Opening Scene – Roni Loren

Potential First Chapter Problems – Jody Hedlund

Hooking The Reader And Never Letting Go – Kristen Lamb

Are These Filter Words Weakening Your Fiction? - Suzannah Windsor Freeman

The Problem – and Reality – of Adding –LY – LuAnne Schindler

50 Rhetorical Devices for Rational Writing – Mark Nichol

Think of this as kind of a ‘Best Of’ list – I’ll be compiling more in the future, and the advice I take an interest in will probably reflect where I am on my personal writing ‘journey’. You know what, brief aside…

I detest the word ‘journey’, as applied to a string of related experiences when attempting to learn a new subject or skill. I’m not on a mystical quest for god’s sake. From now on, I’ll be using my own acronym – STring Of Related Experiences WHen Attempting To Learn A New Skill – STORE WHATLANS. Aside over…

I hope that these links have been helpful to you, and have assisted in furthering your own personal Store Whatlans.

Did you find these links useful? Do you agree with the advice, or do you think that some of it is open to argument? E-mail pithytitle@live.co.uk or leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Zimbio Blog Directory and Search engine Blog Directory Blog Directory BritBlog British Blogs Web Directory
britaine.co.uk
we are in
Britaine.co.uk
united kingdom